Farmers improve grain farms, orchards, and cotton plantations so that they produce more per turn. There is a monetary cost for each operation, starting at $100 and rising steeply for higher levels of production.
- Seed Drill (usually ready to use right at the start of the game) lets them improve grain farms and orchards to level 1.
- Cotton Gin (expected to be available before 1820) - improve cotton plantations to level 1
- Spinning Jenny (about 1830 but you must have Feed Grasses) - improve cotton plantation to level 2
- Steel Plows (about 1830) - improve grain farms and orchards to level 2
- Power Loom (1840s) - improve cotton to level 3
- Mechanical Reaper (1850s) - improve grain farm to Level 3
- Commercial Fertilizer (1860s) - improve orchard to level 3